"...Everyone Is Entitled To My Opinion." ~Madonna

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

TRAVEL: Trains

Vacations should be learning situations. Here is what I learned on our recent vacation:

1. If you are in a hurry, do not go by train.
2. If you want to relax, visit with other people, and be treated royally, go by train.

Our first trip west was in 1992 with my brother and his wife in their RV. Since then we have flown several times, but more recently we have been taking our van. For two or three years it was out route 40 and back Interstate 80. We really got to see the beauty and range of terrain of the United States. The last five trips have been just 40 (Old Route 66) both ways. When we got home last year, Jim said that he did not think that he wanted to drive that far again. I was terribly disappointed, but, being the good wife that I am, I told him that I understood.

Again my brother came to our rescue. He is a regular train buff and so his solution was that the four of us take the train across the country. After weeks of planning…..an old family trait, we left Bellefonte at 1:00 to catch a 5:06 train out of Altoona. That allowed time to eat in Altoona, another old family trait.

Going around the Horseshoe Curve is still a thrill. It seemed much shorter to these adult eyes than it did to my childhood eyes back in the 1940’s, but it still made me aware of the history involved.

We had ridden in coach from Altoona to Pittsburgh, and after a short wait we boarded our sleeper to Chicago. I suffer from a slight case of claustrophobia and my expression must have given me away. The sight of the two bunks in that tiny space was intimidating. I got very little sleep that first night.

We arrived in Chicago at 8:45 A.M…a good time to appreciate their beautiful skyline… and spent a seven hour layover in a very well planned waiting area with free drinks, free snacks, large upholstered furniture, televisions everywhere, and strangers to get to know. By the time we were on our way again, not only had I adjusted to my snug bedroom, but I had learned to appreciate the privacy and coziness of my own space. It was great to be able to walk to the observation car and talk to people and then go back “home” and read.

On this trip not only could I watch the scenery unfold, but Jim could relax and look for wildlife. Side note: on our train trip in Alaska the only “wild life” that we saw were two young boys who mooned us as we went by. I kept watching for them through Kansas. No luck.

To me one of the most beautiful drives in our country is the trip from Kingman, Arizona to Laughlin, Nevada. I was excited for Jim to really get to see it. The trouble was that we left Kingman at midnight and there was little to see until the lights of Laughlin filled the front window.

The arrival times were a little inconvenient but we slept well in our tiny bedroom. Other than the two layovers, it was a very relaxing way to go. I did get several books read.

The food was much better than I expected. In fact, two of the best meals I had the whole three weeks were in the dining car. Our car attendant saw that we had water, coffee, and juice at all times. Our room came equipped with most of the amenities that would be found in a hotel room, including towel and washcloth.

Will I do it again? You bet I will. I learned some of the tricks, comfy slippers and easy on/off nightwear for example, and will be ready to go as soon as the gang says, “We leave next week”!

Oh, and the price was a little less than driving, a fact that my husband liked very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment