"...Everyone Is Entitled To My Opinion." ~Madonna

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Healer of Fox Hollow

Joann Rose Leonard is an author who was unknown to me. Her title, THE HEALER OF FOX HOLLOW, did not intrigue me. The synopsis of the paperback did not catch my imagination. So, why will I be watching for the next Joann Rose Leonard book? Probably because I really enjoyed getting to know the healer, Layla. She made me re-think a lot that I thought I knew.

Layla Tompkins's mother died giving birth to Layla. As a result she was lovingly raised by her father Ed. She spent her first five years as a loved, bright, out-going little girl. At age five she becomes mute under mysterious circumstances. All she remembers is that during the night she heard the hissing of a snake and then the terrible pain of her tongue being bitten off.

Her doctor knows that there is more to the story, the sheriff suspects that a crime has been committed, and the snake-handlers at the church she attends believe that she has been marked by God to speak a new language.

Several miraculous cures happen involving the young girl and her reputation as a healer spreads.  As she grows so does her fame and soon even the skeptical doctor has to re-examine his scientific views when Layla hands provide the only relief his war-damaged son finds.

This book is so much more than any synopsis could relate. Characterization is very important to me as a reader and THE HEALER OF FOX HOLLOW is rich with believable people.

Most of the time we are in Layla’s head and watching a little girl who has so much to share lose her ability to speak was painful. I felt for this child who had been so excited to start school only to be met with the cruel taunts of her classmates.

I loved the teacher who understood and recognized the potential of her mute student. I admired the quiet strength and wisdom of Layla’s father, Ed, and the loyalty of her Aunt Avis and cousin Abby. I could feel the evil in her friend's brother and the pain in the veterans back from Vietnam.

This is a story of pain and forgiveness. No matter what a reader’s personal belief encompasses, whether the faith of the snake-handlers or the faith of the non-church goer, Layla will make you believe in the human spirit. And, maybe, that is what it is all about.

Let us hope that we do not have to wait too long for Ms. Leonard’s next novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment