"...Everyone Is Entitled To My Opinion." ~Madonna

Monday, July 26, 2010

VOLUNTEER: Retired & Senior Volunteer Program Pen Pals

It is getting close to the start of the new year for school students and therefore time to put a call out for the RSVP Pen Pal Program. This is something that I am very opinionated about.

If you are not familiar with the program, allow me to explain.  RSVP,  the Retired & Senior Volunteer Program, sponsors a letter writing project between an elementary student and a senior citizen. The term “senior citizen” is taken very loosely here, younger adults may apply.

The students work on reading, writing, and social skills while building a relationship with an adult outside of their family. The adult gains the experience of mentoring and helping a student improve his/her communication skills.

Last year was my first time as a Pen Pal and I loved it. I had forgotten how delightful a fifth grader can be. If you want more information call Brenda Reeve at 814-355-6816 or e-mail Brenda here. Because there is a required “meet and greet” date at the end of the school year, it is probably helpful to live in the central part of the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment