"...Everyone Is Entitled To My Opinion." ~Madonna

Sunday, August 1, 2010

THEATRE REVIEW: You Never Know

Millbrook Playhouse is almost finished for the season and Cole Porter’s YOU NEVER KNOW was a fun choice for the last production in the Cabaret. This rarely done show is just light and fast moving enough to keep a summer audience entertained.

Director Stefanie Sertich mounted the show as a period piece with a fine eye for detail. Edward K. Ross did his usual good job with a set that was believable. Building a set on a small stage that convinced the audience that they were in a luxury penthouse in the late 1920’s takes talent.

My favorite part of theatre has always been costuming and I can get very critical, especially in a period piece. I wish there were room to go into detail about the lovely, and character perfect, dresses in this show. Two dress in particular stood out. Whitney Brown as Ida wore a red creation with lots of feathers and sparkles that identified her character the moment that she walked on stage. In contrast, Madame Baltin, played by Emily Yates, appeared in the last act in an elegant purple dress that was perfect. Jonathan Southwell has done most of the costuming this season and he has done an excellent job.

The ensemble cast was well balanced. The role of the Baron suited Thom Caska exceptionally well. One of the reasons that I love doing a season at a place like Millbrook is a chance to watch actors like Thom develop over the years. Ryan Halsaver and Lauren Lucksavage will be worth watching in the future. I can not wait to see what Millbrook does with Bobby Underwood. His part in the show was small, but he was very close to me at the curtain call and I want to hear him sing again.

The theatre was full and I went with a large group from our church so I ended up in the worst possible seat. As a result I missed some facial expressions. Still I could hear the great voices and watch the energetic dancing.

Cole Porter is on my list as one of the top three lyricists of all time. His play with words and rhyme can be a challenge to an actor. (Check out the fun word usage in Let’s Misbehave.) This cast must have practiced tongue twisters for weeks. If they messed up any lines, it went unnoticed.

I really enjoyed this show. Of course I love Cole Porter’s music, grew up watching old Ginger Rogers/Fred Astair movies, and enjoy watching a crew and cast who know what they are doing and are having fun doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment