"...Everyone Is Entitled To My Opinion." ~Madonna

Saturday, May 14, 2011

MOVIE REVIEW: Water For Elephants

Movies based on a favorite book always scare me. Too often Hollywood seems to miss the author’s point and feels obligated to add sex scenes, whether or not the scenes were in the original book.

Therefore, it was with a slightly closed mind that I allowed myself to be talked into seeing the movie version of Sara Gruen’s WATER FOR ELEPHANTS. The result is that I have to share my opinion of this production.

Cristoph Waltz and Reese Witherspoon play August and Marlena, the owner of a 1930’s circus, and his wife who, along with her performing horses, is the star act of the show. Robert Pattinson is Jacob Jankowski, the almost veterinarian who hops a freight car and finds that he has joined the circus. If you have read the book you know that the tension builds not only through the love story between Jacob and Marlena, but also through August’s cruel treatment of the animals, as well as his relationship with the people working for him.

Marlena’s feelings for the two men in her life were complex. Reese Witherspoon did an excellent job of showing the strength of being married to a volatile man, the softness of caring for her beloved horses, and the vulnerability of falling in love.

To me Christoph Waltz was the surprise of the movie. He was terrific as the sadistic August. He played the part on so many levels: ambitious for his circus, jealous of his wife, remorse after particularly cruel actions. I found myself watching his reactions no matter who else was in the scene.

The reason that I found the movie to be a little flat may have been the casting of Robert Pattinson as Jacob. Ironically, his scenes with Rosie, the elephant, seemed warmer than his scenes with Marlena. I know that he is very popular with the young girls, so maybe I am missing something, but he and Witherspoon did not strike sparks for me and that was important to the outcome of the movie.

Hal Holbrook as the 90 year old Jacob telling his story was perfect, as was Rosie, the elephant. The sets, costuming, and cinematography captured the mood of the Depression exceptionally well. I am not sure if there is an Academy Award for elephants, but everything in this paragraph is worthy of their consideration.

I know that a movie has to condense a book to fit the time constrictions, but I missed the colorful characters that made up the 1930’s circus in the book. I would love to hear from people who saw the movie, but did not read the book. It is not that I did not enjoy the movie, but I really loved the book.

1 comment:

  1. Pat,
    This was so re-assuring. I will see the movie and appreciate as always the comments. I hope you will do other movie reivews that are book based. I know you are reluctant....you have just the right "sense" for both art forms...keep writing!

    ReplyDelete