"...Everyone Is Entitled To My Opinion." ~Madonna

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Gone, Girl


It is unusual for me to enjoy a book that includes few, if any, likable characters. GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn is definitely full of nasty, even repugnant, people; I could not put it down. It is one of those books that is on your mind while you are doing something else, such as cooking dinner.

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne discovers that his wife, Amy has gone missing. The evidence points to abduction, but the police are certain that the scene has been staged and, naturally, the husband is always the first suspect. The reader has been with Nick throughout the early investigation and we are positive of his innocence.

The second chapter is the entry in Amy’s diary from the day that the couple had met. The book continues in alternating chapters. As Nick continues to claim his innocence, Amy’s diary tells of the beginnings of abuse in the relationship and of her growing fear for her life.

The story line is well plotted, full of twists and surprising characters. I have to admit that though I did not like most of the characters, each was true in his or her motivations, sick though they may be. Flynn’s psychological insight is sharp and she never hits a wrong note in their personality developments.

This is a story of a marriage that went wrong in ways that will cause readers to wonder if we ever know another person. Amy’s parents are clueless about their daughter and her husband. Everything is so happy in their world. Nick’s twin sister Margo is loyal, even throughout the mounting evidence and her own doubts and disappointments. Actually, she was one of the characters that I liked.

GONE GIRL was much more than I expected. So many “Best Sellers” are written by authors who have found the right formula to keep their audience coming back. (Not always a bad thing for fans). Gillian Flynn is a new author for me, but if this is formula writing I would be surprised. I guess that means another author has joined my shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment