"...Everyone Is Entitled To My Opinion." ~Madonna

Monday, April 28, 2014

THEATER REVIEW: Aida

The choices for high school drama clubs should never surprise me any more. When I heard that Bellefonte High School was doing Elton John and Tim Rice’s AIDA, I was skeptical to say the least. Well, Luke Skerpon and Shaun McMurtrie, co-directors and producers, did it with style.

The stage was the first impressive point of the evening. The sets were beautiful. I like a play that makes use of multi-levels and this set included raised platforms and ramps that were quickly and unobtrusively changed The lighting was beautiful. The colors of sunset and the serenity of the starry nights added so much to the mood of the production.

Costumes were also perfect from the magnificent gown that  Amneris wears in the prologue and epilogue to the slaves’ tattered garments. Even the props were well thought out.

This was the year for Mr Skerpon and Mr McMurtrie to tackle such a large undertaking; the senior class has two powerful ladies for the two powerful leads.

Jessica Brown already has an impressive list of credits and was a natural as the flighty Amneris who has to mature to make the life and death decision for the two people she loves.  Jessica sparkles on stage and is always believable in upbeat roles, but she proved that she could handle the growth that this role required.

Cat Rokavec also has earned her acting reputation. I was mostly familiar with her dramatic work though I knew that she sang. I was not prepared for the power of her voice as Aida. Her regal bearing kept us aware that this young woman was a royal princess.

Christian Hopple, who played Radames, was the perfect leading man. He had to be a strong presence to play against his leading ladies. We have seen Christian play lighter roles, so it was good to see that he could handle heavier roles.

Bellefonte will be losing these talented seniors, but I keep my eye out for  up and coming talent. Although the three leads dominate AIDA, several featured actors also are worthy of note.

Stephen Giacobe played Aida’s fellow Nuian and friend, Mereb. Good voice, good stage presence, we will see more of Steven. His fatal duel scene was especially well choreographed.
Zoser, father of Radames, was played by Jordan Emely. This was freshman Jordan’s first play with Bellefonte, but he has had some basic training someplace. He owns the stage, not to mention a good voice. I wish makeup would have aged him a bit more, but I never would have guessed that he was a freshman.

The extras were all excellent at keeping character, especially since many of them played various roles. Their very large contribution was the excellent choral work.

The orchestra was one of the best I have heard at a high school production. Many members appeared to be beyond their high school days, but the music was a character on its own. My only problem with the night was that the music over shone the voices at times. This was particularly annoying to me during dialogue. It might have been where I was seated, but I hate to miss lines.

The Bellefonte Drama Club can be very proud of their production of AIDA I will never doubt Mr McMurtry again.

No comments:

Post a Comment