"...Everyone Is Entitled To My Opinion." ~Madonna

Saturday, July 12, 2014

THEATER REVIEW: Little Shop of Horrors

If you go to Millbrook Playhouse to see LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, expect the unexpected. At least, it contained some things that surprised me.  Not unexpected was the outstanding talent involved in the production, many who have been in earlier shows.

Of course, the well designed set was the first thing that the audience saw and the “growth” of that little shop was very impressive. Thanks to designer Mandy Goynes and her crew for a job well done.

Lighting designer Ethan Vail also is to be commended for very tricky lighting. I have always said that lighting is the last part of any production that I would work; mistakes are too hard to cover.

Todd L. Underwood, director and choreographer, did a great job with moving his cast on stage. His characters were consistent and his dance numbers fresh. I particularly liked the Urchins movements and the “Mushnik and Son” number was a true show stopper. Unfortunately, I am not sure how well audience members sitting in the sections other than South section could see much of the action.

To tell you about Amy Lang might act as a spoiler, but I have to say, “What a talent”! Amy has a voice that rattled the rafters and was able to showcase an acting ability under difficulty physical limitations. Amy does a stand up act when away from Mill Hall. I hope that she tours with it.

Also new to me was Daejanae Lettman. Daejanae, along with Philip Bolton and Morissa Trunzo, were the Street Urchins. If the show is unfamiliar to you, the three of them act as a Greek chorus, musically adding their explanations and comments on the action. Their harmonies and movements were well choreographed and, obviously, well rehearsed.
The rest of the cast have been in earlier shows this summer, but here we saw a whole other side of what they can do. They made me very, very glad that I have season tickets to Millbrook. Jake Novak was the quintessential Seymour, the shy, nerdy sales clerk. His other roles did not prepare me for his acting and singing abilities. He was impressive---and we will get to see him once more on the Millbrook stage in Biloxi Blues.

Casting the unique role of Audrey can be difficult and at first I was not sure about Rebecca Kuznick’s vulnerability. Rebecca quickly changed my mind. Again, here is a young talent with fabulous acting and singing abilities. Her rendition of “Somewhere That’s Green” was touchingly lovely.

What can be said about Marc de la Concha that I have not said in the past? His Mr. Mushnik was right on. Marc really does it all, sing, dance, as well as being a great character actor, (I asked a friend who was with me if she could spot Miss Abigail in this show. She answered, “No, where is she?” Now, Marc, that is talent!)

If I read my program correctly, Jake Evans was a replacement in the show. If so, I can not picture anyone doing Orin, the sadistic dentist any better. Just imagine going from Richie Cunningham to Orin Scrivello, D.D.S. in a matter of weeks. Jake also did some fast change parts after Orin’s unfortunate demise. We will see Jake as yet another personality in Biloxi Blues.

Millbrook has been surprisingly creative with shows that we think we know; each director has been able to add his or her little touches. We still have three more shows to go this summer, so check their website (which has terrific pictures) or call 570 748 8083 for schedule/ tickets.

For 51 seasons Millbrook has been providing central Pennsylvania with superior, authentic summer stock theatre. This season is a good example of why they have been around so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment