"...Everyone Is Entitled To My Opinion." ~Madonna

Friday, July 10, 2015

THEATER REVIEW: Guys and Dolls

Millbrook Playhouse is currently doing one of my favorite musicals, GUYS AND DOLLS and they did not disappoint me. My first professional theatre experience was GUYS AND DOLLS and years later I was fortunate to see our daughter play Sarah Brown in her high school’s production. Therefore, I can be a little picky when I see a new version --- I feel that I own this show!

Based on the characters created by Damon Runyon, GUYS AND DOLLS introduces us to the gamblers and their dolls who live and love in New York during the late 1940’s...two hard core gamblers, one Hot Box Night Club dancer and a sister from the Save-A-Soul Mission to be exact.

Three of the “ guys”, Nicely-Nicely, Benny Southstreet and Rusty Charlie (Tom Lavallee, David Groccia, and Brian Pereira, respectively)  set the mood perfectly with “Fugue for Tinhorns” (This is the song that helped me Ace a classical music appreciation test because I understood what a fugue was. Everything I know I’ve learned from musical theatre.)  These three guys  prepared us for the bunch of not- so-tough gangsters we were to meet later.

Nick Orfanella was probably one of the best Nathan Detroits I have seen. Nick has a good strong voice, exceptional stage presence and is downright loveable. His tall, lanky body is perfect for comedy but then this singing voice comes out of him. I could see why Miss. Adelaide was impatient to put an end to a very long engagement and get married.

The role of Miss. Adelaide is always a crowd pleaser and Maren Fischer filled the part delightfully. Again we heard an exceptionally good voice and surprisingly good comedic timing. “ Miss. Adelaide’s Lament” gave us a chance to see what she can do.

Nicholas Miller was born to play romantic leads and the role of Sky Masterson was perfect for him. Not only is Nicholas handsome and the owner of a rich voice, he can act. This is one of the regulars at Millbrook who you want to see return, but you also hope that his career takes off to the point that Millbrook can no longer afford him.

The part of Sarah Brown, the “good” girl who falls in love with a gambler is a difficult role. It demands a voice that goes from sweet to rather wild and sexy, not to mention holding its own in a duet with the more flamboyant Adelaide.  Erin Long did it. I felt that her drunken “If I Were a Bell” was her best spot.

One of my favorite songs from a musical is “More I Could Not Wish You”, the song that the older mission worker sings to Sarah after she has fallen love with Sky. Thank you, Ted Cockly. Tom Lavallee had the privilege of singing the show stopper “Sit Down, You’re Rocking the Boat” . He rocked it!! The Hot Box Girls also deserve special recognition. Sara Davis, Catherine Deluce, Keli Haines and Brooke Reese ( I hope that these names are correct) were so cute/sexy, plus full of energy.

The fact that director, Todd Underwood, understood that this is theatre in the round was greatly appreciated. The action made good use of the stage; the choreography was lively. Both could be enjoyed from all seating sections. Thank you, Todd for giving me another fun GUYS AND DOLLS.

GUYS AND DOLLS will be running on the Main Stage at Millbrook until July 19th when it will be replaced by Ring of Fire, a tribute to Johnny Cash. Dial M for Murder will be in the Cabaret from July 16-26th. Check the box office at 570 748 8083 for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment