"...Everyone Is Entitled To My Opinion." ~Madonna

Monday, January 7, 2013

MOVIE REVIEW: Les Miserables!

-->
After what seemed like ages, I finally got to see the movie LES MISERABLES. Usually if I loved the book or loved the stage show, I am reluctant to see what Hollywood does with it, but the cast of the movie was a big part of my anticipation. Hugh Jackman AND Russell Crowe? Come on!


The movie is lush. I cannot think of another word. If you have seen the stage show, you know that it is very minimalistic, especially where the sets are concerned. The movie is big with sets that at times were overwhelming. (If you have seen the movie you will understand-- I have a great fear of heights and truly had to look away at times.) The costuming was beautifully done. Technically, it is a fabulous experience.


But, I went to see the cast perform. After all, it is a musical drama.


Hugh Jackman is one of my favorite actors; he sings, dances, and acts. He was so good as Jean Valjean that I did not recognize him at first. He did not disappoint. I have to admit that at one point his sideburns were a little long and I had a flashback to Wolverine.


Inspector Javert is such a complicated character that I am glad that the actor Russell Crowe was cast in the part. Critics have not been kind to his singing voice, but I felt that it suited the character very well. 
 

This was my first experience of seeing Anne Hathaway in a dramatic role and the role of Fantine is certainly dramatic. I am not sure if Hathaway is how I saw Fantine, but she will probably win an award for the role. 
 

Although Sacha Baron Cohen and Helen Bonham Carter play the actual villains, Thenardier and Madame Thenardier, they also provide much needed comedy relief. Ms. Carter is always a delight as a character actor and Cohen’s talent is just starting to get noticed. I am waiting to see him as Freddy Mercury.


All parts were well cast, but for me the high-light of the movie, beside Hugh Jackman, was Samantha Barks as Eponine. Her acting was so effortless and her solo, "On My Own", was very moving. I hope that we see much more of this young talent.


In other words, this is a movie that I am so glad that I saw. Ironically, I still prefer the 25th Anniversary Concert to listen to. The movie voices were perfect for the action, but the concert is perfect for listening. Side note: I was glad that Colm Wilkinson, one of the original Jean Valjeans, was in the movie. His voice is so beautiful.


Much credit goes to Victor Hugo for giving us a novel that has stood the test of time so well. LES MISERABLES defines the term classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment