"...Everyone Is Entitled To My Opinion." ~Madonna

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

BOOK REVIEWS: 2013 Gift List

Like most of you, I keep a drawer of gift books in my spare bedroom. In that drawer are the little gift books that I find on sale and save to give instead of a card. A book is so much more personal, and if you watch for sales, they can be less expensive than a card.
Usually my stash consists of little books of inspirational quotes about love, faith, women, and the good things that make up life. Mister Rogers is often there, as is Thomas Kinkade, the “Master of Light”.
THE BLUE DAY BOOK by Bradley Trevor Greive is a regular purchase. As soon as I give it to someone, I hunt for another copy. Any of Greive's books fit my criteria, but this is my favorite. Subtitled “A Lesson in Cheering Yourself Up”, the book is a series of animal photographs explaining that everybody has blue days. The captions are so perfect for each photograph that even if it is your worst day ever, you have to smile. Check it out, or wait until I know that you need cheering up and I give you my copy.
My other must have is by children’s author Sandra Boynton. Ms Boynton started as an illustrator for a greeting card company and went on to be a very successful author of books for young children…think BUT NOT THE HIPPOPOTAMUS. On her son’s graduation from high school, she wrote YAH, YOU for him. I love this book. It has been perfect for a friend who lost her job, for another friend  who was going through a divorce, and I cannot think of a better gift for a graduating student no matter the age. If you have a friend who is going through imminent changes in his or her life, you will want this lovely book.
Recently I was loaned Cynthia Rylant’s GOD GOT A DOG.This is a delightful collection of poems telling of God discovering the wonder and pain of the world He created. With titles like “God Goes to Beauty School” and “God Goes to the Doctors” you get an idea of the charming humor. My favorite was “Got Got Arrested”. Seems God was in this bar, he liked the jukebox, and someone said something about Jesus and that caused a fight. The lesson is “watch what you say about someone, he might have a relative nearby”. Adding to the fun are the illustrations by Marla Frazee. I know so many friends who will love this collection.
Of course any of these little books would be a good Christmas gift. As someone said of the Boynton book, “No chapters, no index, no graphs, no study guides”. Now that sounds like a perfect gift!  
This is your friendly reminder that Christmas is coming and many of us love to find books under the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment