"...Everyone Is Entitled To My Opinion." ~Madonna

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

BOOKS: Christmas Wish List 2013

Once again it is time for Santy Patty to help you with your last moment gift shopping...at least for the readers on your list. Some of these books I have already reviewed, but either I want to jog your memory or make you aware of more recent publications. So, here are my personal picks for your consideration.

I have been waiting for Greg Isles to release THE BONE TREE. His books are not really series even though some characters are recurring, but THE DEVIL'S PUNCHBOWL finished on a cliff hanger; then Isles was in a serious accident and it seemed to take ages before his next book. Well, now we know that THE BONE TREE is available. He is one of my favorite authors and for the reader who has not tried him, I recommend THE BLACK CROSS, a gritty Second World War story, or BLOOD MEMORY. This is an author who does not depend on a formula. Each book is unique and a genuine page turner.

Twisted Seth Grahame-Smith, author of ABRAHAM LINCOLN, VAMPIRE KILLER, has a new release just in time for Christmas titled UNHOLY NIGHT, a story dealing with the three wise men as we have never seen them. If your list includes very twisted people, you can not go wrong with Grahame-Smith.

David Baldacci can be counted on for a fast moving action book. My favorite is still ABSOLUTE POWER, but for a change of pace, his tender WISH YOU WELL is a more gentle read. His newest best seller is KING AND MAXWELL. I have not read this yet, but probably will.

Lani Dianne Rich says that she does funny books for women or maybe books for funny women (or men). I enjoyed her THE FORTUNE QUILT and will be looking for more by her. Her books are light but with a twist. WISH YOU WERE HERE sounds good.

Right now I am reading THE COLLECTION by Bentley Little. It is a collection of very short, short stories and they are intense enough that I read several, put the book down and go do something normal before I pick it up again. His THE MAILMAN was the book that started me on this “thinking man’s horror” author.

Two women’s authors who are always a sure thing are Nora Roberts and Mary Balogh. Balogh writes fun, historical romances set in Regency England. I loved her quintet about the Huxtable family, but have had trouble finding the final installment, A SECRET AFFAIR. It is needed to pull the other four books together. ( Was that hint subtle enough?)

Nora Roberts needs no explanation. She creates extremely enjoyable characters whether she is writing basic romance novels, page turning suspense books or futuristic “detective” stories under the pen-name of J. D. Robb. She is extremely prolific, so there is always something new and popular from her. Personally I wait until a series has been published in its entirety before I start reading them. I hate waiting several months to see what is happening.
The movie version of Markus Zusak’s THE BOOK THEIF has been released. After reading the reviews of the movie, I will pass on the movie. This is one of my all time favorite books (it is ranked next to TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD on my list) and I refuse to see Hollywood butcher it. Although this is considered a “youth” book, it would be an excellent gift for anyone. Zusak is a brilliant author. I have his WHEN DOGS CRY on my want-to-read list.

This has been a good year for reading. I hope that at least one of my blogs has intrigued you enough to try an author that you had not thought about before. If nothing else, I hope that you found something to entertain you. I love hearing from you. So please let me know if you agree ,or not, with me. Controversy can be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment